Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Short Interview with Dr. Kevin Downing on QS-UT Conference and His Suggestions in this Regard

A Short Interview with Dr. Kevin Downing on QS-UT Conference and His Suggestions in this Regard
Date: 10/6/2010

TUMSPR News: On October 3, 2010, a joint meeting was held by QS, Tehran University of Medical Sciences(TUMS) and University of Tehran at TUMS and at the end of the day, Dr. Kevin Downing expresses his opinion and suggestions in a short interview in this regard.


On October 3, 2010, a joint meeting was held by QS and University of Tehran (UT) and its sister institute Tehran University of Medical Sciences (TUMS) and at the end of the day, Dr. Kevin Downing, the deputy registrar of the City University of Hong Kong and the chair to QS-Maple, participated in a short interview with Dr. S. Behnam Hashemi from TUMS Public Relations, while he expressed his opinion on the accomplishment of the meeting and made his expert suggestions in this regard.

Dr. Hashemi: Dr. You’ve been here for the whole day, how do you assess this conference or this workshop?

Dr. Downing: I think it’s been exceptionally lively. A thorough debate of the advantages and some of the disadvantages of ranking systems, generally, and around the world and Iran’s and [University of] Tehran’s place in that process.

Dr. Hashemi: And do you have any suggestions for universities, such as Tehran University of Medical Sciences, or University of Tehran to do better in future rankings?

Dr. Downing: I think actually you are in very good hands; you have some good colleagues, they are actually working on this, but I think perhaps one approach would be to do feasibility study to try and demonstrate where the relative strengths are for the two institutions in terms of the ranking criteria and then to concentrate on those strengths, developing those strengths.

Dr Hashemi: Do you suggest consulting bodies outside the university, or from other countries or the QS itself?

Dr. Downing: I think sometimes it’s very valuable, but what I would do... What I did in Hong Kong was I prepared my benchmarking report, first, then I bore the consultancy from QS, and they prepared a benchmarking report which I was able to use to see whether mine was accurate or not. That was very helpful and gave me a lot of confidence moving forward.

So, I think a combination! You have a lot of internal experts, particularly here at UT, but sometimes it’s also useful to have and bring external experts.

Dr. Hashemi: I really appreciate your presence and the whole trouble you took coming here.

My pleasure.
I appreciate.
Thank you.
Thank you.

http://publicrelations.tums.ac.ir/UserFiles/File/SD%20(non-picture)/Voice/Dr%20Kevin%20Downing%20at%20TUMS%20Oct-3-2010.mp3

http://publicrelations.tums.ac.ir/english/news/detail.asp?newsID=19274

No comments: